Pee-yew, what is that smell? Ever walk into the kitchen only to be smacked in the face with a foul smell that seems to be coming from the sink? Even if you use a sink strainer and are diligently using your garbage disposal to get rid of food scraps, that drain can still emit some very bad odors. So, what can you do to get rid of that stench? Find out below!
Why Does My Drain Smell?
1. The Sink Drains Have Gone A Long Time Between Uses, Resulting In Sewer Odors
All drain lines have a trap, which is a device that prevents sewer gases from coming back up in the living areas of your home. When the trap dries out, from not being used in a while, it can allow smelly sewer gases to rise up into your kitchen.
2. There Is Grease Decomposing In The Garbage Disposal
We recommend that you always discard grease into the garbage can instead of the sink, but sometimes it’s inevitable. As the grease cools, it tends to harden on the sides of the drain pipe and as it begins to decompose, that stench can rise up into your home through the drain.
3. There Is Food Trapped Within The Garbage Disposal
It’s probably no surprise that some food scraps can get stuck to the garbage disposal blades or in the drain, which can cause a smell. Old food typically gives off a moldy or rotten odor.
How To Fix A Smelly Drain
1st Solution: Run Water Down The Drain
- This typically helps with the dried up trap problem mentioned above.
- As water fills the trap, it will help prevent gases from being dispersed and rising into your home.
2nd Solution: Pour Baking Soda Down The Drain
- Toss a few teaspoons of baking soda down the drain
- Follow it up with a cup of vinegar and this mixture should help loosen up congealed grease.
- Then pour a pot of hot water down the drain to wash it all away and you should be relieved of that foul smell.
3rd Solution: A Thorough Cleaning (If A Dirty Garbage Disposal Is Causing The Problem)
- Turn on the cold water and let it run for about 30 seconds.
- Then turn the disposal on and chuck a few ice cubes in.
- Lastly, run a few orange or lemon peels through the system to give it a fresh citrus scent.
Need Professional Drain Services? Plumbing Plus Can Help
Still experiencing nasty odors or other drain problems? We’re here to help! When you call our plumbing professionals, we can easily and accurately identify the appropriate course of action. Our technicians can determine whether you simply need a quick drain cleaning or a full repair. Call Plumbing Plus today at (858) 251-6812 to schedule an appointment.